Photo ID required to vote at local elections on 4th May

Voter ID does your photo look like you?

Proof of your identity will also be required for subsequent General elections from October.

It’s best to check that you are suitably equipped before the end of March. Acceptable forms of ID are:

  • UK Passport
  • UK Driving Licence
  • A Blue Badge
  • Freedom Pass or Oyster 60+ card
  • A proof of age card

You can still use your photo ID if it’s out of date, as long as it looks like you.

Other acceptable government documents are:

  • Biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state
  • Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland

Other Options

If you don’t have a photo ID, or your photo no longer looks like you, apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate before 25th April. You will also need to be registered to vote using your National Insurance number.

Another option is to apply to vote by post – before 18th April.

I’ve simplified lengthy government information which you can read in full on the Electoral Commission website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *