The South of the Olympic Park Opens on April 5th for the first time since the Olympic and Paralympic games of 2012. There will be newly landscaped parklands, fountains and waterways, the newly adapted Aquatics Centre, the re-opened ArcelorMittal Orbit, walking trails, arts and events and children’s play areas. Below are a few of the opening highlights. For full information click here for the Park website.
Top ten Park opening highlights – from 5 April
- See London from a different perspective from the UK’s tallest sculpture – the 114.5mArcelorMittal Orbit. Tickets on sale soon.
- Take a dip in the Aquatics Centre – open to the public for swimming sessions, lessons and events. Book in advance from 20 January.
- Home to road, track, BMX and mountain biking, Lee Valley VeloPark even has learn to ride programmes. Find out more.
- Cheer on the London Lions vs Worcester Wolves at the Copper Box Arena on 10 April 2014 from 7.30pm. Adult tickets from £13.50 – on sale now.
- Walk the four new interactive trails to let you explore the nooks and crannies of London’s newest park. Pick up the trail maps from the Park Visitor Centre.
- Could you be the next Olympic champion? Test your skills racing against Usain Bolt or Shelly-Ann Fraser-Price at Fast, Faster, Fastest.
- Relive your Games-time memories with a photo beside the Olympic rings or Paralympic Agitos in the north of the Park.
- Discover the brand new outdoor spaces and parklands that have been landscaped to encourage fun, exploration and entertainment for the whole family to enjoy – including water fountains and a promenade lined with 100 mature trees.
- Visit the Park Visitor Centre for all the essential information, maps and trail information for your day on the Park.
- Hungry or thirsty? The Park has a huge variety of food and drinks available. Visit the Timber Lodge Cafe, one of the Park kiosks dotted around the Park or the cafe in the Podium.
Top five Park Winter activities
- Tuck into some winter warming food and drink at Timber Lodge Cafe. Choose treats from the new winter menu with meals starting from just £3.50.
- Don’t let this weather get you down! Get the endorphins pumping at the shiny new gym at the Copper Box Arena. Drop in classes or memberships available now.
- Did you know the north of the Park is dotted with 10 pieces of art work for you to discover? Find the Spiegelei Junior and peer in through the viewing windows to see the Park through a whole new perspective, or explore the Cross and Cave installed at the kids Tumbling Bay Playground.
- Burn off the turkey with a winter stroll. Explore the north of the Park and river life all open now to the public. Read more about the north of the Park.
- Get a bird’s eye view of the Park’s transformation and what’s opening in spring 2014 from the Viewtube.